Although it’s true that Kauai is not a mecca for nightlife, there are many places to enjoy Luau style entertainment as well as venues with music that encompass traditional Hawaiian, rock & roll, jazz, blues, reggae, and more. Below are some luau options and live music on the North Shore (at your accommodation there will be a recent copy of ‘The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook’ by Andrew Doughty to give you more options at other locations around the island).
- Smith Family Luau – Beautiful tropical setting, good food & entertainment. Often rated best on the island ( SmithsKauai.com )
- Kalamaku at Kilohana – Good food & entertainment but more a theatrical performance of Polynesian migration to Hawaii versus a traditional Polynesian revue. Tuesday & Friday ( LuauKalamaku.com )
Since schedules typically change on a weekly basis, it is best to call these venues prior to, or just after, arrival to be able to know your options and plan accordingly.
- Hanalei (all venues are within a 2 minute walk of each other)
- Tahiti Nui – Music most nights with bands or solo artists playing contemporary, rock, traditional Hawaiian, or possibly a DJ or karaoke. (808) 826-6277
- Hanalei Gourmet – Music several nights per week with mostly solo artists playing contemporary, jazz, rock, island-folk, etc. (808) 826-25-24
- Bouchon’s – Live bands several nights per week featuring blues, reggae, rock, to island flavored tunes. (808) 826-9701
- Kalypso’s – Live music a few afternoons or evenings per week featuring island flavored tunes. (808) 826-9700
- Slack Key guitar & Ukulele concert – Doug & Sandy McMaster’s playing Hawaiian Paniolo music. Reservations @ mcmasterslackkey.com . Fridays at 4pm & Sunday at 3pm
- Happy Talk Lounge at Hanalei Bay Resort – Music 7 nights a week with bands or solo artists playing contemporary, rock, traditional Hawaiian, jazz, etc. (808) 431-4084
- St. Regis Bar – Entertainment nightly featuring the distinctive sounds of local artists. Come before dark and take in one of the most superior sunset views in all of Hawaii. (808) 826-9644
- Princeville Shopping Center Food Court – Live local entertainment 7 nights a week 6pm-8pm.
- Slack Key guitar & Ukulele concert – Doug & Sandy McMaster’s playing Hawaiian Paniolo music. Reservations @ mcmasterslackkey.com . Saturdays at 6pm
- The Bistro – Live music a few nights a week featuring Hawaiian Slack Key and jazz. (808) 828-0504